The British-Irish Parliamentary Assembly (BIPA) have launched their report on Childhood Obesity.
The report highlighted the need for action in many areas of society – including schools and education, planning regulations and local interventions and in the food and drink industry.
The following recommendations were made for future childhood obesity strategies including:
- The need for a coordinated whole-of-government approach.
- A particular focus on deprived communities.
- Involving and consulting children and young people in all aspects of the strategy.
- Implementation of advertising regulations – including on social media.
- A positive non-judgemental, non-stigmatizing approach.
- Creating a local environment which makes the healthy option the more accessible and easier choice.
To read the full report click here.
Save the date
The next All-island Obesity Action Forum workshop will take place on the 14th of November 2017 in Dublin.